Texas Historical Marker - Lyford

Texas Historical Marker

Map This Site!

Before the arrival of the railroad, this area was a part of the King Ranch known as "Como se LLama". Lyford was developed in 1907 by executives of the Rock Island Railroad and named for attorney William H. Lyford of Illinois. Settlers came by train from the midwest and lived in tents until permanent homes could be built. An artesian well supplied water, and "Pioneer Hall" housed worship services and school classes. Later the Lyford Hotel became a focal point for the town. Soldiers and Texas Rangers protected Lyford during the border bandit raids of 1913-15. (1985)

Home    South Texas History    Previous Page
Bookmark and Share
Copyright © Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved