Development of Premont began in 1904; the post office opened on January 13, 1909. Visiting ministers occasionally held church services in a surveyors' and land agents' bunkhouse. About 1910, Methodists erected the town's first church, a 30' x 60' stucco chapel, sharing it with other faiths. Sometimes open also to secular gatherings, that building was used in 1943-44 by the public school system. In 1954 an educational annex was built and in 1956 the old church was razed and present sanctuary erected on the original site.