In 1872 this church was organized in Indianola by 25 charter members as the Mount Salem American Baptist Free Mission Church. Two major hurricanes struck the gulf coast in 1875 and 1886 and destroyed the Mount Salem Church building. In 1886 the Reverend Robert Greer and more than 20 members moved to Victoria, bringing with them the bell and pulpit and some salvaged lumber. The congregation purchased a house to use as a sanctuary, placed it on the corner of Depot and River streets, and installed the bell and pulpit from the Indianola church building. In 1896 the congregation moved its facilities to Mantz Street, and additions were made to the building as the membership grew. A Sunday School and choir were organized.
A new church building was constructed in 1932 and a baptistry was added. In 1939 the name of the church was changed to Mount Salem American Baptist Church. The membership purchased a new building in 1962. The bell and pulpit used by the founding members were prominently displayed in the fellowship hall.
The church has been an integral part of the community, supporting activities and outreach programs. It continues to serve the area as it has for more than a century. (1997)