Considered oldest organized group in Lavaca County. Under dispensation granted March 29, 1850, Lodge was chartered January 31, 1851, and named for early Texas colonist and Masonic leader John Murchison, Fayette County.
First officers: Isaac J. Foster, worshipful master; Silas Bennett, senior warden; Peter McDermott, junior warden. About 1855, Lodge built a 3-story hall, which was also used as a church and a school (called "Masonic College").
Lodge member Friench Simpson served as grand treasurer of the Grand Lodge of Texas in 1900.