Settlement dates from about 1850. First town, 2 miles west, was called San Domingo for its location near junction of San Domingo and dry Medio Creeks. After railroad was built, 1886, citizens moved to Walton (new flag station) to be on line. Name honored sheriff D. A. T. Walton.
When Norwegians settled area, 1890's, Walton became Normanna. Word originally suggested the qualities of old Norse heroes, but through local usage came to mean "Home of the Norseman".
Town thrived for years; then declined after series of fires and advent of the automobile. (1969)