This congregation was organized in 1857, one year before the city of Pleasanton was founded. The church was established largely through the efforts of early Methodist circuit preachers such as John Wesley DeVilbliss and Augustus C. Fairman, who later was elected County Judge and settled in Pleasanton.
The Rev. Thomas B. Ferguson was appointed first pastor to the Methodist congregation in 1858. Early worship services were held outdoors, in private homes, in the log courthouse, and in the first schoolhouse. The fellowship erected its first sanctuary during the 1860s. A second, built during the 1880s at 421 North Main, today is used for the parsonage. The first church building at this site was constructed in 1912-14. The current sanctuary was completed in 1959.
In 1969, Pleasanton First United Methodist Church merged with Jacob's Chapel United Methodist Church, a black congregation organized during the 1870s. The Pleasanton church continues to uphold the ideals and traditions of its founders as it provides significant service and leadership to the community. Many descendants of its pioneer members continue to worship here. (1984)