Organized under a tree near this site on August 27, 1882, the pioneer Sand Branch Baptist Church began with twelve members from the surrounding rural area. Elder C. B. Hukill served as the congregation's first pastor. Early worship services, conducted once a month, were held under a brush arbor and later in the community schoolhouse, located nearby.
By the early 1900s the schoolhouse was no longer adequate for the growing congregation and plans were initiated for the construction of a separate sanctuary. Built by the members, it was completed in 1904 at this location. The land was conveyed by member W. W. Davidson, who had earlier deeded the adjacent cemetery site. New church facilities were constructed here later.
For over a century the Sand Branch Baptist Church has played a significant role in the development of the area. Church facilities have been used for a variety of civic activities and members of the congregation have served as prominent leaders of the Sand Branch community. In addition, as an early member of the Rio Grande Baptist Association, later renamed the Frio River Baptist Association, the church has been active in area missionary work. (1982)