The coming of the railroad to Victoria was an important part of the town's economic and social history. Although the first line reached Victoria by 1860, the railroad's major impact came after the end of the Civil War.
In 1882, the proposed New York, Texas & Mexican Railroad completed a stretch of track from Rosenberg to Victoria and established its line headquarters here. Three years later it was sold to the Southern Pacific Railroad Company. Southern Pacific built a depot at this site in 1888-89 to serve arriving and departing passengers and to house its headquarters. Later, Victoria served as division headquarters for the Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Railroad. The two-story depot had a baggage room, waiting rooms, and ticket offices on its first floor, with the divisions' general offices and the dispatcher housed on the second floor. It often served as a gathering place for community social functions.
The last passenger train left Victoria in 1953, but the depot remained in use for various purposes until 1979. Although the depot burned in 1984, its history is a reminder of the railroad's importance as a vital part of the economic and physical growth of Victoria.