The great Gulf storm of 1875 in Indianola brought many Lutherans to Cuero. by 1880 German Lutherans were meeting for services conducted by pastors from nearby communities. The 1886 destruction of Indianola brought more Lutherans, and St. Mark's was organized by German home mission board of the Lutheran general council on July 18, 1886, with 30 charter members.
Sunday School was organized Jan. 2, 1887. Ladies' Aid was formed in 1889 to raise funds for building. The first church building, erected in 1889, installed a copper ship's bell previously used on the Lutheran church in Indianola. First parsonage was built 1905; present church, 1939, with old copper bell as prayer bell; second parsonage, 1953; fellowship hall, 1959.
The Luther League was organized 1902; Brotherhood, 1918; Women's Missionary Society, 1921, merging with Ladies' Aid, 1955. Dr. L. C. Kleinecke was Sunday School superintendent 1889-1949. Ten pastors served from 1886 to 1972: J. Butterman, Cornelius Ziesman, John Hurtzig, Reinhold Schubert, William Utesch, A. A. Hahn (two terms), Frank F. Eberhardt, John W. Kern, John A. Jacobs, H. A. Hanson. St. Mark's has been affiliated with Iowa Synod, United Lutheran Church in America; and with Lutheran Church in America.