This church traces its history to 1893, when German settlers in Waterhouse (about 10 miles W) began worshiping together. Officially named St. John Lutheran Church in 1895, the congregation moved to Glen Flora in 1920, after storms destroyed its first three houses of worship. The Glen Flora sanctuary, built in 1920, was destroyed by a 1929 tornado. The congregation moved to Wharton in 1941, taking with them the small frame sanctuary they had built in 1929. Renamed St. Paul Lutheran Church, the congregation eventually erected larger facilities at this site.