A significant element in Goliad's architectural history, this house is one of the city's oldest structures. Although the exact date of construction has not been proven, documentary, architectural, and archeological evidence suggest it was built prior to 1847, perhaps as early as the 1820s. Pioneer settler Jessie W. Stoddard bought the property in 1847. It was sold in 1879 to Artie Holliday Collins, wife of cattle rancher Joseph Collins. The house, which reflects several phases of construction including a 1930s board-and-batten addition, remained in the Collins Family until 1906.