The pioneer community of Stratton, which developed as the center of a large agricultural area, was established here before the Civil War. It was named for John Stratton, a Cuero saddler who had land interests in the vicinity. The settlement had a post office from 1887 to 1905, a general store, school, cotton gin, drugstore and blacksmith shops. The Primitive Baptist Church, organized in 1883 at Burnt Camp in Lavaca County, moved here in 1914. Pioneer area settlers and two veterans of the Civil War are buried in the community's Alexander Cemetery.