Founded near this site in the 1850s, Terryville was named for the family of James D. Terry, who served as DeWitt County judge from 1883 to 1891. The community raised a cavalry company for the Confederate Army and had a post office by 1869. The post office and most residents moved in the 1880s to a new location 2. 5 miles away. The community prospered until the early 20th century. The post office was discontinued in 1907. The old cemetery remains at the first townsite, while a Baptist church still exists at the second location.