Structure was built in 1875. Atascosa Lodge 379, A. F. and A. M. , bought top floor, 1876. School was owned by educators: first, Col. John D. Morrison, later B. C. Hendrix. A faculty member was Isaac Wood of Benton City. The institute operated under a Texas law distributing state funds to supplement private tuition; had basic courses plus accounting, law, music, and surveying. Later fully tax-supported, it had an influential career until 1919 and consolidation of school district with Lytle. Building was used at times until 1934.