When four well-educated German families settled on Five Mile Creek in 1849, the community was called Latiner for their knowledge of Latin. Capt. Robert Kleberg (1803-88), Battle of San Jacinto veteran, was one early resident. In the 1880s, the German settlement of Rabke grew up nearby. Edward Rabke's store housed the post office, 1898-1905, and Woodmen of the World Lodge. Local children attended Five Mile School, which moved to the Ratcliffe farm in 1921. Except for Rabke Methodist Church, the early community landmarks have disappeared.