Founded as market center for a 44,000-acre farm development. Thrived for 3 years, 1914-1916. Wentz townsite was named for C. C. Wentz (1872-1957), agent of the Two Rivers Ranch Company. He promoted the townsite for the absentee Kansas landlords, and was also a well-known businessman in West Virginia before coming to Texas. The town grew to have about 200 people by 1916. A limousine was hired to meet each train at Three Rivers and bring the mail to Wentz. A severe drouth in 1917, though, forced most citizens to move. The post office closed, 1921; the two schools in 1948.