This fellowship was organized shortly after the Civil War to serve the newly freed slaves of the Victoria area. Originally a Methodist Episcopal Church, it began in 1871 when church trustees George Ware, Thads Phillips, Isaac Smith, Alexander Bonds, James Maulding, John Hall, Madison Gafford, Abner James, and George Washington purchased land at this site for the construction of a sanctuary. Many of the early members had attended services of the First Methodist Church of Victoria as slaves. The Rev. N. Webster, for whom the church was later named, served as the first pastor.
The first church building, a frame sancturary, was completed here in 1889. Later changes, which included additions to the structure and extensive interior remodeling , were a result of the church's continued growth. Many members were added in the 1930s and 1940s as residents of the surrounding area moved to Victoria in search of jobs.
Many prominent pastors and members have been associated with Webster Chapel United Methodist Church. Since the days following the Civil War, it has played a significant role in the growth and development of Victoria's Black community. (1981)