Kelsey Memorial Methodist Church (Iglesia Metodista Kelsey Memorial)
Texas Historical Marker
 

This church was established in 1872 by Bishop John C. Keener. The Rev. Alejo Hernandez served as the first pastor. The church prospered then faltered during the Mexican revolution and depression but survived to become the Iglesia Metodista by the late 1930's. With financial help from Anna Marietta Kelsey (1863-1953) the church built a new sanctuary here, and on July 4, 1948, was renamed Kelsey Memorial Methodist Church in memory of Anna's parents, John and Amanda Kelsey, noted early Corpus Christi residents. Kelsey Memorial United Methodist Church continues to serve the Hispanic community.

Esta iglesia fue establecida en 1872 por el Obispo John C. Keener. El Rdo. Alejo Hernandez fue el primer pastor. La iglesia florecio despues decayo, debido a la revolucion Mexicana y la depresion, pero sobrevivio y para los fines de los 1930's fue conocida como la Iglesia Metodista. Con la ayuda financiera de Anna Marietta Kelsey (1863-1953) la iglesia edifico un santuario nuevo y en el 4 de Julio de 1948, fue renombrada Kelsey Memorial Iglesia Metodista en memoria de los padres de Anna, John y Amanda Kelsey, residentes notables anteriormente de Corpus Christi. Kelsey Memorial Iglesia Metodista Unida continua sirviendo a comunidad Hispana.

 
Copyright 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved