|McAllen First Methodist Church|
|Texas Historical Marker|
The earliest record of Methodist church activity in the lower Rio Grande Valley dates to 1849. Circuit-riding ministers served an area along the Rio Grande from Brownsville to Roma. In 1909 the Rev. C. W . Godwyn was assigned to serve Methodists in McAllen, and a small frame sanctuary was built that year. It was replaced by a larger structure in 1913. Continued growth in the congregation led to construction of the present facility in 1928. This congregation continues to be an important part of the McAllen community.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|