|Palo Alto Battlefield National Historic Site|
The battle of Palo Alto was one of several important battles of the Mexican War fought on U. S. soil. The battle took place on May 8, 1846, when Brig. Gen. Zachary Taylor and more than 2,000 U. S. troops fought 3,300 soldiers of the Mexican Army. The Mexicans attacked twice, and twice were repelled before retreating across the Rio Grande following a decisive defeat at Resaca de la Palma on May 9.
Today, the Palo Alto Battlefield, a National Historic Site administered by the National Park Service, remains open pasture land as it was at the time of the battle. The park visitor center offers an orientation video and exhibits on the battle of Palo Alto and the U. S. -Mexican War. The Park offers a ˝ mile trail (1 mile round-trip) to an overlook of the battlefield, where visitor will find interpretive panels. Palo Alto Battlefield has become home to a small herd of Nilgai—a type of antelope native to India and Pakistan. Originally brought to Texas ranches for exotic hunts, the animals have migrated into the Rio Grande Valley.
The park is open daily, 8 a. m. to 5 p. m. , year-round. Closed Thanksgiving Day, December 25, and January 1. The park trail and battlefield overlook close at 4:30 p. m Admission is free.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|