Alice
Texas Historical Marker
 

In the 1880s, when the lines of the Corpus Christi, San Diego, and Rio Grande and the San Antonio and Aransas Pass railroads intersected, a new townsite was platted at the junction in what was then Nueces County. First called Bandana and then Kleberg, the town was finally named Alice (for Alice King Kleberg) when a post office was granted in 1888. Homes, business, schools, in south Texas were headquartered in Alice. P. A. Presnall was elected the first mayor in 1904. Alice became the county seat of newly created Jim Wells County in 1911. (1988)

 
Copyright 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved