|Echo Stagecoach Depot and Post Office|
|Texas Historical Marker|
Known as "Mount Echo" or "The Point", this site once belonged to Empresario James McGloin. His daughter and son-in-law, Elizabeth and Patrick Murphy, ran a general store at Echo. John Bernard Murphy (1822?-1884) and his wife Margaret Mary (Healy) (1833-1907), both born in Ireland, settled here in the 1850's and built a two story ranch house. J. B. Murphy, who was not related to Patrick Murphy, was later mayor of Corpus Christi.
A one-story building near the J. B. Murphy ranch house served as a station for stagecoach lines from San Antonio to Corpus Christi and south Texas. It housed the Echo Post Office from 1858 until 1879. The stage road through echo was a dry weather route along the East Bank of the Nueces River. A higher caliche road that was passable in wet seasons served stage stops on the west side of the river. Until the arrival of the railroad in this area, the echo depot and post office provided a vital link with the outside world. In the 1880's, Margaret Mary Murphy moved to San Antonio and founded the Sisters of the Holy Ghost. She used the ranch as a retreat for nuns and converted the echo depot into a chapel. R. F. sellers bought the property in 1906 and used the building for storage. It was demolished by hurricane Celia in 1970.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|