About 1770, Josť Antonio Cantu established a large ranch on land granted by Spain. He named the ranch La Lomita for the little hill located nearby. The ranch became an important stop between the Catholic church's Brownsville headquarters and the Roma Mission. In 1865 the Oblate Fathers constructed an adobe chapel on the ranch and named it La Lomita. The little chapel was destroyed by flood waters, and in 1899 a new chapel was constructed. A village began to grow around the chapel as the Oblate Fathers constructed a rectory, guest house, quarters for the lay brothers, a blacksmith shop and buggy shed and small houses for the families of the laborers.
Today, the La Lomita Historic District reminds us of the importance of missions in the settlement of this region of Texas.
Open Daylight Hours.