Malaquite Beach is located at the northern end of Padre Island National Seashore near the entrance. It consist of a little more than 4 miles of gulf beach and includes a visitor center, observation deck, concession operation, restrooms, showers, changing rooms, over 40 campsites, picnic tables and a large paved parking lot.
Driving is not permitted on the beach. There are wooden posts blocking vehicles from the beach at the north and south end. These are known as the north sticks and the south sticks. Beach access is available by raised wooden walkways across the dunes.
The beach is named for the Malaquitas indian tribe, one of the four tribes that are associated with Padre Island. This tribe records its beginnings in Nuevo Leon, Mexico. First called "Malahueco," the name Malaquitas apparently is a later name documented to 1756 as a description for Indians living near Mier, Mexico. In 1766 Ortiz Parrilla recorded the Malaquitas on Isla Blanca or Isla San Carlos de los Malaquitas, the name [at that time for] for Padre Island, in the area now covered by Kleberg County and northeastern Kenedy County. By 1780 the tribe is documented on the coastal islands near Copano Bay.