Matagorda Bay Nature Park is a 1,600-acre park and preserve at the mouth of the Colorado River on the Matagorda Peninsula.
The park has two miles of Gulf of Mexico and two miles river frontage and hundreds of acres of coastal marshes and dunes. It is one of the best birding areas in the nation.
Activities and facilities
* Natural science center with classrooms and exhibits
* Fishing along the shore and from four free public piers – three on the river channel and one on the Gulf
* Beach combing
* Bird watching
* Tent camping on the beach
* 22-mile beach (vehicle access requires $6 Matagorda County permit)
* Half-mile predestrian beach
* Trails and shaded wildlife viewing areas
* Group pavilion and covered picnic shelters
* Restrooms and outdoor showers
* 70-site RV park with full utility hookups.
To contact the park directly call the concessionaire, Recreation Resource Management, at (979) 863-7120
Webcam images may be completely dark at night.