In 1949, Father Jose Maria Azpiazu placed a replica of the statue of the Virgen de San Juan de los Lagos in his Parish. Pilgrims began coming to the church to pray and so the Father decided to build a shrine. It was dedicated on May 2, 1954 with over 60,000 people present.
In 1970, an airplane crashed into the shrine and the resulting fire completely destroyed it. However, the statue of la Virgen was rescued from the flames intact.
On April 19, 1980, a new shrine was dedicated that can seat over 1,800 people. Today, thousands of people make pilgrimages to the shrine each year to pray, gain inspiration and insight, and marvel at its large mosaic and at its statuary recreation of the stations of the cross.