Dolph Phenias (D. P.) Moore (1852-1928) moved to Matagorda County in 1869. He married Louise Wendel in 1879 and together they reared ten children. A successful merchant, rancher, and landowner, Moore sold the land on which the town of Bay City was platted in 1894. He moved his family to Bay City that year. Local contractors Hatchett and Large built this 15-room Queen Anne style house for the Moores in 1902. A prominent civic leader, Moore was instrumental in bringing railroads to Bay City and in the development of the area's rice industry. He donated land for Cedarvale Cemetery and park.