Brushwood Cemetery was established as a municipal burial ground for the town of Chapin (now Edinburg) in 1913, five years after the town's founding. The earliest known burial here was that of Antonia Hernandez de Ramos, who died in 1913. Older graves dating to 1898 were relocated here from El Granjeno Cemetery near the town of Mission. More than 1,000 graves are located here. Tombstones bear Anglo, Spanish, German, and Irish surnames and document the diversity of peoples that helped build Edinburg and other communities in the vicinity.