Completed in 1883, this was the first courthouse built by Cameron County officials, who previously rented or purchased office space. This three-story brick structure served as the county courthouse until 1914, when a new building was erected. Rio Grande Lodge No. 81, A. F. &A. M. , then occupied this structure. The original roof, with its gables and central tower, was removed during remodeling.