Publication of this newspaper, one of the oldest in the state still in operation, began about 1845 in the nearby town of Matagorda (22 miles south). The business was moved to Bay City in the 1890's, soon after the town was named the new county seat of Matagorda county. Major events covered by the paper include several hurricanes and a yellow fever epidemic of the 1870's. A list of the publishers is inscribed on the reverse of this marker. The present owners, Bay City Newspapers, Inc. , assumed ownership in 1958.