Rio Grande Valley developer W. E. Stewart began construction of this adobe brick and stucco residence in 1912. Before it was completed, he sold the house to his employee Bailey H. Dunlap (1886-1957), a native of Illinois. Dunlap started La Feria's first bank, the Cameron County Bank, and was involved in real estate dealings throughout the valley. He served as La Feria's first mayor in 1915 and participated in numerous civic and religious organizations. In the 1920 and 1930s, the structure was enlarged and remodeled by W. E. Strickland, the original contractor.