Within a year of becoming one of Bay City's original settlers in 1894, Alexander D. Hensley organized an interdenominational Sabbath school with the help of Gilford M. Magill. Early religious services were held in the county courthouse and in a community center.
In 1898 Hensley, Magill, and others drafted and signed a Presbyterian Church covenant to formally organize this congregation. First Presbyterian was enrolled as a member of the Brazos Presbytery later that year. Hensley is also credited with the organization of the Mexican-American Presbyterian Church in Bay City. Actively interested in that congregation, he taught Sunday School classes in Spanish there for many years.
Pastors assigned to First Presbyterian Church by the Brazos Presbytery held few services in Bay City, and in 1903 the relationship was dissolved. The congregation built its first church building nearby in 1903 with the Rev. George Wallace Story serving as pastor. The frame sanctuary served the congregation until 1936 when a new brick sanctuary was constructed at this site. Church facilities have expanded over the years to meet the demands of a growing congregation. First Presbyterian continues to provide religious guidance for members of the community.