Named by Gen. Zachary Taylor during Mexican war, for Maj. Jacob Brown, who died in 1846 defending the post. Permanent 385-acre reservation laid out 1848 by Col. Wm. Davenport, around original earthworks. Young officers in the Taylor occupancy included D. C. Buell, U. S. Grant, Geo. G. Meade, Geo. H. Thomas, later Civil War general in the U. S. Army; and Braxton Bragg, T. H. Holmes, James Longstreet, J. C. Pemberton and E. Kirby Smith, future confederate generals. In the late 1850's Robert E. Lee served here.
In March 1861, Texas confederates under Col. John S. Ford occupied the post; later C. S. A. Commanders were Cols. P. N. Luckett and Aug. Buchel, Gens. H. P. Bee and J. B. Magruder. In November 1863 the post was burned. Federals under Gen. N. P. Banks had a camp of tents at Fort Brown until July 1864. After that, Gen. J. S. Slaughter and Col. Ford reoccupied the post with confederates until the war ended. Soon after the confederate surrender at Appomatox, U. S. Gen. Phillip Sheridan brought in troops for a show of force against the French in Mexico City. In 1867-69, new permanent Fort was built by Capt. Wm. A. Wainwright. City and college acquired reservation in 1948. Northern boundary International Boulevard.