Named for an area near the Brown Plantation home site, Grove Hill Baptist Church was organized in 1884 by the Rev. Jack Yates and London Branch. The original church building also served as a school for the African American community. A new church structure was built on this site in 1919. As the congregation expanded, a Sunday School, music department, choir and youth group were established. Improvements to the building included enlarging the pulpit area, and building a steeple and a detached bell tower. The church continues to serve the community as it has for over 100 years.