The Harlingen School District opened a new public school at this site in April 1912 in one of the city's first permanent school buildings. Originally known as the main school, it served Elementary through High school grade students. Graduating classes of the early years usually were made up of ten or fewer students. As school enrollment grew, additional facilities were built in other parts of Harlingen. A new Sam Houston School Building was constructed at 301 E. Taft in 1960. Over the years, the school has produced some outstanding graduates.