The first Port Lavaca Chapter of the Eastern Star, No. 171, began in 1894, but ended 5 years later. On May 10, 1907, a second dispensation was constituted for Port Lavaca Chapter No. 373. Members of the earlier chapter were among the 13 charter members of the new group. Bertie Best served as the first worthy matron. A later member, Annie Leggett, served as Deputy Grand Matron of the Grand Chapter of Texas. Over the years, this organization has led in the support of numerous charities and benevolences.