Early residents of Wadsworth (Est. 1909) John H. and Anna Ottis received help from Galveston Bishop N. A. Gallagher, the Rev. George Montreuil, and other Catholics in the area to erect the 2-story Sacred Heart Catholic Church/school building in 1912 at the corner of 1st and Avenue H. Though the school closed after 2 years catholic services were continued. Road construction prompted the Rev. M. J. O. ' Regan and the congregation to reassemble the original sanctuary here in 1924. Sacred Heart continues to serve the community as a mission of Bay City's Holy Cross Catholic Church.