Land at this site originally was deeded for church use by the Alamo Land and Sugar Company. Construction of the Gothic revival church building was completed in 1924, the year Alamo was incorporated. Development of St. Joseph Parish was guided by pastors from Sacred Heart Catholic Church in McAllen until 1927, when St. Joseph was designated an independent parish. Church facilities have served over the years as social centers for the community and places of refuge for hurricane victims. St. Joseph Catholic Church remains an important part of the religious heritage of Hidalgo County.