About 1880, South Carolina native William Lawton Lipscomb (1874-1941) came to Texas with his family. In 1894 he settled in Hidalgo County, where he managed a sugar plantation. Later he and his wife, Ada (Dougherty) (1877-1959), moved to Edinburg and established one of the city's first general mercantile stores. Lipscomb moved his business to this building after it was completed in 1910. As an Hidalgo County Commissioner from 1909 until 1925, a prominent businessman, and an active Mason, Lipscomb provided significant service and leadership to the community.