This ground level water storage reservoir was constructed in 1928, nine years after Weslaco was founded. Built through the efforts of Mayor David E. Kirgan and City Water Commissioner William Detlef, it was a symbol of Kirgan's municipal reforms. The facility was used until 1928 when work was begun on the adjacent overhead tank. A project of the Works Progress Administration, it was completed in 1941 during the mayoralty of John L. Compere, Jr. The site now serves as a reminder of Weslaco's early development as a progressive city.