Formed by a group of thirty three women of Valentine's Day, 1921, the Chat Work Club derived its name from the members practice of working on sewing projects while conversing with each other. In 1925, they began raising funds for a portland public library, and by 1933 a building was completed. Beginning with 291 books, the library grew over the years and has occupied a number of structures. The original library building was moved to this site in 1983. The members of the Chat Work Club remain active in community affairs.